Tuesday 29 December 2015

San Stefano

The feast of San Stefano (Boxing Day) we went for a short walk in up  the Renaio path, and back down the tree-lined Via Cesare Biondi.  Children playing outside, and some flowers made it a less wintry scene.
Flowering Witch-hazel. I've only seen this a couple of times.  I presume it gets its name from the weird way it blossoms in winter, and with such a profusion of flowers borne on old wood ...  I think it is usually a bit yellower than this.
An old favourite  of ours - the Japanese quince - we have one at La Serra too
Winter Jasmine - beautiful, but no scent like the real thing ...
We've not had many sunsets (not enough clouds!) so I snapped this one ...

1 comment:

  1. Please keep taking the flowers. Fabulous to see these and the elephant's ear flower in the next post. I was thinking Witch-hazel grows in Scotland but maybe getting confused with wych elm. Somebody on the web speculates that the word witch and wych are a corruption of an old English word wice meaning pliable, bendy. Anyway I've never been aware of ever seeing this flower.

    ReplyDelete